Saturday, October 3, 2009

Haven's head

We went to get our 4D ultrasound a couple of weeks ago. She's beautiful. Right now, we think she looks like Rowan, but all bets are on. She sure does feel heavy. I don't remember feeling so pregnant last time. Dr. Stanley suggested we book an induction date for Dec 31st, so we did. Tax write-off here we come! It's amazing to me how 5 days makes thousands of dollars difference. I guess that's one of the benefits of having a financially minded spouse. I've never made such a big decision based on money before. How do you feel about induction dates? Any holiday babies out there with suggestions?

We had the ultrasound done because Haven had a cyst in her brain at our last ultrasound. Praise the Lord, it was gone! All the other markers for chromosomal abnormalities were absent, so we are expecting a healthy little girl.

I'm teetering on the line between over-nesting her room and not doing anything at all. How is that possible? All I can say is third pregnancy.

How do you all feel about making decisions to limit the number of children? Is it lack of faith? Is it common sense? The wise men consults many, so please inform. I think we are all led differently (within the guidelines we have in the Bible), so don't be insulted if I don't follow your advice. Here are my reasons for stopping now:

1. This pregnancy has been harder on my body, to say the least.
2. I'm not called (yet) to adopt.
3. I want to be involved in my children's lives and in their children's lives.
4. I want to be available to the kiddos I have.
5. I would like to be able to fit our family comfortably in a normal sized vehicle and house.
6. I want to be able to teach them and spend one-on-one time with them in God's word.
7. I want to be the one (or one of the ones) to experience life with them and to know what's going on.
8. I think some people make it look easy. I feel like my body is about to fall apart. I feel like my brain is about to fall apart. I feel like my emotions are about to fall apart.
9. Two words: Three weddings. Two more words: Four periods. Two more words: Husband's sanity.
10. One word: Money (I'm not as worried about this. I think God provides what we need.)

And the other side: I love our girls more than my own life. If we had more, I would trust God to give me same love for them all. (I'm just worried that the quality of the girls we have is going downhill with my energy level.) Nevertheless, children are a gift of God. They are a blessing, and I do feel very blessed to be the mom of the girls I have. If we had more, I trust that I would be even more blessed. I'm just waiting on God's guidance. I've already given my life over to Him, and He is eternally faithful to me. If He wants me to have more, let it be done. And if He doesn't (or His plan for me is something else), then let that be done as well. And please help me to have peace with that decision. Even if that decision is waiting.

2 comments:

Exum Family said...

We have many of the same reasons for not wanting to overpopulate our home. The main reason being the quality of time that we provide to each child.

I think our world is very different now, which makes large families more time consuming and harder work. We don't walk everywhere or ride on animals. We don't grow our own food or make our own clothes.

I don't have any great insight on this. I feel like an open heart to the Lord will result in achieving His will for family size. I think He'll give us peace about stopping or keeping the door open for more. I think the main thing is just keeping His glory in mind and making our decisions based on that. If we do, I don't think we can go wrong or make a mistake.

The Chandler Clan said...

It is not an easy decision, but I think God will give you a peace and when you know, you know. I think all of your reasons are valid. Keep praying for wisdom for when your family feels complete. I'm with you on this decision, it's hard.